There was huge excitement among Marvel fans when a rough cut of footage from Infinity War was shown at the Disney Expo in July.
Despite a complete embargo and attempts to ban recording devices, some pirated copies were leaked online. There have also been descriptions of some key scenes that were shown.
It was thought that the actual trailer was being held back to avoid major spoilers for Thor Ragnarok.
Now that Ragnarok has been released, another look at the leaked D23 footage that still circulate online throws up a huge problem. Either the D23 leaks are all fakes or someting truly crazy is going to happen in Avengers 3.
WARNING MAJOR THOR RAGNAROK SPOILERS
It was widely believed that Marvel was holdng back the release of Infinity War materials until Ragnarok hit cinemas because of these three major plot reveals.
Fans who have seen the final Thor movie will now know that the God of Thunder loses his eye in the battle with Hela. The movie also implies that Loki steals the Tesseract once again from Odin’s Vault and ends with the terrifying sight of Thanos’ giant ship filling the screen.
The D23 leaked clip completely contradicts one of these points.
Almost half of the advance footage shows one apparent scene where Thor meets the Guardians of the Galaxy. We will not spoil it here but fans can easily find it online if they look hard enough (or at all).
As expected, it is hugely amusing.
What is not expected is that it shows the new King of Asgard in possession of both baby blues. How can Thor have two eyes when one was gouged out by his sister?
Thor ends Ragnarok sporting a fetching eye-patch, just like his divine dad before him. It is hugely symbolic of his legacy but also what both father and son have sacrificed for their people.
There are five possibilities.
1. The footage leaked online is fake. This seems unlikley since the wobbly caera work and excited audience noises certainly look like it was sneakily filmed during the D23 presentation. It also contains shots of characters like Captain America that still have not been seen anywhere else.
2. The scene with Thor will be reshot showing him with the chronologically correct missing eye. This seems odd since Ragarok must have been well into post-production by July, so everyone at Marvel must have know he would lose his eye.
3. The scene will be completely discarded. Again, rather odd, since it is so involved and was the opening highlight of the preview footage.
4. It is a flashback. This could work, except that Thor has his post-Ragnarok short hair. Infinity War Avengers 4, however, is rumoured to contain a major alternate timeline but photos from the set have shwon Thor with is old long hair.
5. Thor will regain his eye. Many fans are hoping for the debut of Thor the Rune King storyline and it is possible that somehow Thor or one of his immensely poweful allies will be able to restore his eye. It would also devalue his sacrifice and undermine Ragnarok.
Does Marvel have yet another timeline conundrum to solve?
THOR RAGNAROK IS OUT NOW
Published at Fri, 10 Nov 2017 00:01:00 +0000